Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A not-so-fun milestone...

Just one week shy of the 19-month mark and Bobby is sick for the first time. It started with a slightly runny nose which progressed to a cough. He just didn't seem himself, and lost the "sparkle in his eyes". He continued to sleep through the night and didn't show any real signs of an ear infection, but with the holidays coming up, I decided to err on the side of caution, so I took him to the Doctor yesterday. Poor guy has 2 ear infections and is on antibiotics for the first time. I was not totally surprised. He was having a snack before his doctor's appointment and took the 2 pretzel rods and was trying to shove them into his ears...

I previously wrote about his affinity for Tylenol (or "nana" as he calls it). Figuring he takes his Nana so well and even asks for it by name, I was pretty confident he'd have no problem with the medicine. Boy was I wrong. My mom has had to hold his arms and legs while I struggle to shove the syringe in his mouth whenever he starts wailing. I'm going to consider these twice daily wrestling matches my exercise for the next 10 days.Medicine

I figured last night would be a rough one and I went to bed early thinking I may be up with him in the recliner all night. Bobby slept all night though. I didn't, but he did. I expected him to be up, so of course when he wasn't I had to make sure nothing was wrong. I was up checking on him pretty regularly between 2am and 5 am. I wouldn't have it any other way though. I'm glad he was able to sleep and hopefully that will help him get better faster. I'm tired all the time anyway, what's another night of losing sleep to me?

I also learned, when the Dr. was figuring out the proper dosage of antibiotics for him, that Bobby at 19 mo. is the size of an average 3 year old. I only hope he's somewhat athletic, unlike me!

1 comment:

Irishembi said...

Bobby. I hope he's back to his usual sparkly self. Good thing is, those ear infections clear up pretty fast.

If it's any consolation, his cousin didn't like the pink nasty stuff either and took every opportunity to spit it back at her Mama.

I'm referring to me of course, not Meredith. :-)