Friday, January 16, 2009

"Pennsylvania Lottery-Benefits Older Pennsylvanians. Every Day."

It's kindof funny how your life can take you in such an unexpected direction. Although I now enjoy being an attorney, I never dreamed of this career growing up. It was something I just decided to do so I could have a stable job and support myself--it seemed interesting and I knew a lot of people who I didn't think of as exceptionally "smart" who were successful attorneys...how hard could it be?

If you look over to the right, you'll see a link for Momgenerations.com (a very informative and fun site--check it out, but not right now, ok?)...anyway, one of the mom-bloggers on there, Audrey, is married to my childhood next door neighbor, Matthew. (That's how I came to know about the site). He is 6mo. younger than me, and we played together all the time growing up.

Around age 4 or 5, I remember planning our future together. Of course we would get married, but we were each going to remain living in our own house with our own moms-neither one of us was willing to leave our mother at that point. We would stay right next door to each other though. How would we support ourselves, you may ask? Well, my dream was to work the Pennsylvania lottery machine at DiStefano's drug store--which I could walk to from my house. I loved that the lottery had its own little checkout line, and all those fun buttons to push and noises from the machine. Plus, DiStefano's had the world's greatest candy aisle! Seriously.

Once we started school, Matthew and I didn't really play together anymore...I went to Catholic school and he went to public school so we never had the same friends or activities. Eventually, DiStefano's closed. My parents moved away. We all grew up.
Today, I'm happily married with a child and not living with my mother...but if I could work a lottery machine that would be a dream come true.

1 comment:

Irishembi said...

HA! I actually had a brief stint as the girl working the lottery machine and believe me it was not all it's cracked up to be. That's a lot of buttons and a lot of different ways to play the lottery and a big line of people that get REALLY cranky if you can't pump out their 5 foot long list of numbers in under 10 seconds. After about 2 weeks of voids (that require a lengthy logging process required by the State) I quietly "resigned".

I remember Matthew AND DiStefano's. I miss DiStefano's!