Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A well-balanced diet

I am not a picky eater. I eat fruits, vegetables, seafood, ethnic foods etc. I am willing to try just about anything at least once. (Except for sushi--I do have a preference for cooked food). However, I do have a few idiosyncrasies when it comes to certain foods, mostly revolving bread choices. Rob is well aware of these. For example, my mother used to make "meat cakes" for dinner on occasion. A "meat cake" is a hamburger with no bun. I do not like "meat cakes"! A hamburger is only properly eaten on a bun with condiments, not with a fork. Also, a hot dog goes in a hot dog bun, not wrapped in a piece of bread, and certainly not cut to fit onto a hamburger bun. I would rather eat a hotdog cut up on a plate than to eat one without the proper bun.

When it comes to breakfast foods, I like toast with my eggs. English muffins, bagels, and biscuits are also acceptable forms of breakfast bread.

Last night we had breakfast for dinner. I went to get the bread for my toast and *Gasp* we didn't have any. Not even a heel piece. I checked the fridge. No English muffins either. Rob said we have hotdog and hamburger buns. THE HORROR! I checked the pantry, I could make Bisquick biscuits but there wasn't enough time. No refrigerated biscuit dough. I was frantic. I didn't even want the dinner anymore, but I was hungry.

I reluctantly toasted a hamburger bun. BLECH! My dinner was ruined.

2 comments:

Dani said...

ROTFL! I agree 100%. My Mom used to serve hamburgers without buns too and that is just wrong and you can't have eggs without toast or some reasonable substitute.

Of coarse I AM a picky eater but somethings have to be eaten the correct way.

Irishembi said...

Dave thinks hot dogs are an acceptable breakfast meat. I find this horrifying. No Dave, hot dogs are NOT the same as sausages.

My Mom always tried the "Cut up the hot dog so it fits on a hamburger bun" routine. I am ashamed to say I have pulled this on my own offspring when I find myself missing buns of the proper shape.