Monday, March 23, 2009

Fun For the Whole Family?

Rob was away this weekend so I decided to have a fun Mother-son weekend. I decided to get out of the usual Saturday routine and take Bobby to Kidapalooza. My mom graciously agreed to accompany us. I feel better knowing there's a second set of eyes watching him when we're in big crowds of people, and it would be fun for all of us, right?

I was especially excited to take Bobby on the rides. I was hoping this summer we'd take him for his first trip to Kennywood. For those non-Pittsburgh readers, Kennywood is THE BEST amusement park, and it's right here in Pittsburgh. We always went every summer and even at 34 years old, I still get that jittery/excited feeling in my stomach when it's "Kennywood Day!" (Even after working at Kennywood for 3 summers during college, I still feel the same way...) Ok, Kennywood merits its own future post, so back to the Kidapalooza weekend--

I thought Bobby would love the carousel and we'd introduce him to the fun of carnival-type rides. I was wrong. The screams started as soon as we mounted the horse. They continued throughout the ride. Here is an image from Bobby's "Fun" day with mama and Grammy Pat:
We didn't try any more rides after this. We also tried to get his picture with Dora the Explorer and Curious George. Unfortunately, I think he has inherited my innate fear of mascots, large-headed costumed characters, Santa and the Easter Bunny.
But, it wasn't all bad. He did enjoy the petting zoo, although my ever-cautious mother and I kept him in the stroller on the outside of the fence. He could just look. No touching or petting the germ-infested animals. Here have some hand-sanitizer just in case. He also liked "Toddler Town" with soft things to climb on and books to read.
All in all, I think he had a great day. He truly enjoyed watching the baby ducks and peeps...
Hmmm... maybe with the nicer weather we'll make a trip to the South Park Game Preserve...

No comments: