Friday, May 15, 2009

Irrational Fear?

It's that time of year again. Bees are buzzing. I am freaking.
I have an irrational fear of getting stung by a bee. Because I have never been stung by a bee. or a wasp. Or any other stinging bug/insect/critter.

I'm not afraid of the sting, the pain or the icky stinger in me. No, I've convinced myself that because I have not been stung by a bee, I have no way of knowing if I will be one of the 2 million people in the U.S. that is allergic. If stung, will I suffer a life-threatening anaphylactic reaction?

On my last day of my last summer working at Kennywood I was assigned to the lemonade stand. It was hell. The lemonade was homemade so we were cutting and squeezing lemons into glasses with sugar and water. Do you know how many bees were attracted by the mass amounts of sugar water in the plastic cups, spilled on the ground, and on the counters?? Swarms. I was near stroke stage by the time my shift ended.

*Bzzz Bzzzz Bzzzzzz*

No comments: