Monday, February 16, 2009

I must confess...

I am somewhat obsessed with little people. I know it is not politically correct, and if you or someone you know or love is a little person, I apologize, but I just can't help it.
I am totally fascinated by little people. Especially Dwarfs. (or is it Dwarves?) I think it all started back when I used to go with my dad to WWF (now WWE) wrestling events here in Pittsburgh. In addition to the main event wrestlers, there would usually be a dwarf match.
Then when my older brother was in college, there was a dwarf that lived in his dorm. I heard stories of him and couldn't wait to see/meet him when I visited. This was at the height of the "Dwarf Tossing" phenomenon...

I love to watch shows on TLC or Discovery channel about their lives. I am a big fan of "Little People, Big World". When I met Rob I think he found this personality quirk a bit odd. I can't blame him considering he's 6'7" and the complete opposite of a little person.
I was so excited the one year we were in Myrtle Beach for vacation and one of the stores was having a personal appearance by one of the original Munchkins from the "Wizard of Oz"--I dragged Rob along and I was completely mesmerized...

There is a local bar here in Pittsburgh that advertised for a "midget". Certain nights have "Midget Madness" at the bar. If someone buys the $10 shots, "ManBoy" comes out and pours shots right into your mouth, sometimes in costume.


I was out once with Rob and some friends when we spotted Shaun, aka "ManBoy"... I was your typical? Midget Groupie--

He is somewhat of a local celebrity, so I didn't feel completely awkward asking for the photo, but I'm sure he was annoyed by me.

So if you ever happen to see a little person--give them a smile from me!

To learn more about Little People of America, click here.


No comments: